Recent Posts

Friday, June 26, 2009

Teaching a two year old about God

We have been dealing with some behavioral issues lately, and I was reminded by my dear friend Joni that it's not too early to talk about obedience and how God expects the babies to obey their parents.  After a talk with her, I have been trying to talk more about it.....if all they understand is that they are accountable to someone other than me and daddy, that is enough for now.  When you're having a deep talk with a two year old, it's not always clear how much information is being absorbed, so I wasn't sure if they were even listening.  In the car yesterday, we had a pretty interesting dialogue. 
Hayden: Mommy, sing the Bible song.  
Me: (sings the Bible song...you know the one...."The B-I-B-L-E, is just the book for me..." 
Me:  You know, Jesus says we ought to obey our parents, and be kind, and love everyone.
Cale: And not kick the back of the seat. 

Okay.  So he understands Jesus doesn't appreciate seat kicking, I know that much.  Hayden's contribution was "God says: "No more monkeys jumping on the bed."
Today I was telling my parents about it, and the babies were listening. (as always)  Hayden piped in with "Jesus says "No-NO!".  All hilarity aside, I don't want them to think Jesus is a meanie, or that following him means no fun for the rest of your life.  I am hoping this is heading in the right direction...

0 comments: