Recent Posts

Sunday, May 18, 2008

First Time Away....







I ventured out this weekend for the first trip away from the babies. The most I have ever spent away from them before this was one night away for our anniversary last year when they were two months old.....I was feeling very mixed about going away all last week....dreading it a little, but also looking forward to hanging out with friends. I went, because I knew I had to. It probably isn't healthy (or normal) to never leave your kids for a weekend away, so I sucked it up and decided to do my best. My friends showed up Friday to pick me up...we were headed to the coast for the Beach to Bay marathon. (Before you get too excited: I was going along as their driver. I am not in ANY kind of shape to be running a leg of a marathon.) My mom had agreed to watch the babies for a few hours until Shawn got home from work, and I thought I was okay with leaving them...until we started loading the car and saying goodbye...when I proceeded to burst into tears. I am an idiot....I know my husband is more than capable enough to take care of them alone, and they are too little to even miss me....but it was still nearly unbearable. I felt like even more of a dork because everyone else was really excited for the break from their kids, and as we were driving away part of me wanted to do the MacGyver shoulder roll from the car door onto someone's lawn and go sprinting back towards my house and my sweet babies. After some sweet encouragement on the part of my friends, and a little "liquid relaxer" in my drink, I started to loosen up about it. Despite a few phone calls to make sure my children hadn't found a replacement mommy, I did just fine!! We stayed in a beautiful house on the beach (all 21 of us), karaoke'd, laughed at absolute nonsense, ate too much, had a hilarious dance off, squeezed way too many people into beds, and generally acted like 12 year olds. It was really, really fun, and I am so glad I went! I am even a little motivated to consider running next year....this year I was just in charge of driving and dropping off people at their leg starts, and getting to the finish to watch them come in....but I have to say that watching them accomplish something difficult, and seeing them cross the finish line was really, really cool. Some of these girls are lifelong runners, but others are ones that just decided to learn to run and DID it. They are amazing inspirations for tackling something you think you aren't up for...I was so proud of them, and thought it really should be something I do. I need a challenge...and that would be a huge one....

On another note, our Schertz house went on the market Friday, and we have already had someone come back for a second showing! We are (tentatively) keeping our fingers crossed, but more than ever realizing that this situation isn't within our control. I would LOVE to just sell a house (any house) and move on to the next phase....hopefully we get an offer tomorrow. Highly unlikely, but I can hold out for a miracle....I am dedicated to:
keeping my house spotless for the duration, getting together more often with my girlfriends, strapping my duo into the jogging stroller at least three times a week (even if it is for an embarassingly short "run"), finishing all the monogramming projects I have started but not completed and most importantly, NOT worrying about our house issues and trusting that God has something in store for us!

1 comments:

Katherine said...

I have always wanted to run that! Another friend of mine did it this weekend too! Next year I'm doing it! SO glad you got away! It's good for you, and the pictures look like you had fun.