Recent Posts

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Somewhere in between "The View" and "All My Children" I realized that I have officially lost my mind.....if someone could peek in my window during the day, they would send the guys in white coats to come get me! I just realized that I spend a HUGE chunk of time singing ridiculous songs to the babies....there are songs on just about every topic imaginable, most of them entirely too inappropriate to share! The babies seem to enjoy them though, so I guess I'll keep it up since I have such an appreciative audience! Both babies have been smiling so much the last few days-it is so much fun! Hayden learned to "talk" today....cooing and squealing at me, which is really good because yesterday the pediatrician asked if they were smiling and cooing, and I said yes. (I was counting grimacing as smiling) It's a good thing Hayden is adorable, since she spits up on everyone in the tri-county area!
At their appointment yesterday Hayden weighed almost eleven pounds, and Cale weighed twelve and a half!!! I didn't get yelled at about his weight....he is only in the seventy fifth percentile....Hayden, however is in the ninety fifth percentile in length, which I am pretty sure means she is going to be 5'11'' and a supermodel or professional athlete! :) They were so good at the doctor, and so tough about getting shots....they each got four shots, and it was so sad! They were just happy as could be on the table, and when the nurse poked them, both of them looked so shocked. The both turned red and opened their mouth so big like a scream was coming out....and stayed that way a full five seconds before the world's loudest crying commenced. Of course, I cried more than them. They were fine in ten seconds, but I felt so horrible for them!! You could tell they did NOT enjoy shots at all! I watched them all day to see if they were going to get a fever, but they seemed fine....
It is reassuring to visit the doctor, because I had been worried thinking Hayden wasn't growing like Cale...she doesn't seem to hold her head up like him, and she is so tiny! He said everything looked great, and that they are two totally different people so they will develop at different rates. I had been thinking she was too little until our friends the Maziurs came over Saturday morning....they brought their kids Matt and Marlie, who is only four weeks old! I took the girls' picture, and Hayden looks like a full grown man next to tiny Marlie. Marlie's mommy and I lived together in the dorm freshman year at Baylor, and I told her maybe someday Marlie and Hayden will be living together at college, too.....maybe someday they will look at that picture and laugh! We found out this past week that two of our best friends (Kelly and Ronny McGinnis) are having a GIRL!!! So far we know her name will be Logan, but they haven't decided on a middle name yet...Hayden will have so many girls to play with growing up! Everyone we vacation with and spend lots of time with is having babies which works out great for my kids....Luckily, our other really close friends the Zunkers are having a boy in September, so Cale will have someone to play with, too. Which brings to mind the topic of baby names....I thought we did a pretty good job of naming the babies something interesting without sounding like we were making up names for Dawson's Creek or something. Interestingly enough, though, everytime Shawn and I tell someone what we named the babies, we have to repeat ourselves about three times....it's not like we named them Moon Unit or ESPN (actual baby name I read about online...thank goodness Shawn didn't think of that one first!) Our own grandmas are baffled....Shawn's made sure to point out that "Hayden" and "Cale" weren't Catholic names...my grandma said, "What is his name again? Conn? Cane? Kyle? Carl? Shane? Shale?" Even she was laughing by the end of that list!!!
We had a fun fourth of July....hung out with family and drove to the church parking lot to watch the Schertz fireworks show....we left the babies in the car because of the last horrific event involving Cale and fireworks. Shawn opened the door to check on them, and sure enough, Cale was in the car crying!! He could still hear them with the doors shut and he was so angry! Poor Shawn....he LOVES buying fireworks and lighting things on fire-hopefully Cale grows out of that so that he can enjoy them with Daddy later and I can worry about them burning their fingers off. Hayden doesn't seem to get nearly as worked up about things as Cale....she is such an easy going baby. She hardly ever screams unless she is really hungry. They both have the best personalities...just like Mommy! :)
Last night was a huge milestone for us...Cale went to bed at eleven and slept until six thirty!!!!! Yeah!!! I actually felt rested when I woke up. Hopefully this means we are about to start getting lots more sleep.

0 comments: