Recent Posts

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I think this is what they call "nesting".....

Okay, so traditionally, "nesting" brings up a vision of a perfectly clean house, with tiny little clean baby clothes folded neatly into dressers, awaiting baby's arrival.  That's not so much how it looks in my house.  I have started collecting all the items I will need for "The Big Split".  (Hayden and Cale sleeping in their own rooms, in BIG KID beds)  Thus far, I have just bought a bunch of stuff and made piles with it....I have been dreading the room reassignment, because I have visions of them roaming the house in the middle of the night, and for now, I love that they sleep in their cage.  I mean crib.  Did I say cage? I digress.   Anyway, I was suddenly struck with a fabulous idea.  Why not decorate their new rooms, but just push their cribs into their new rooms, and let them stay in those for a while?  The new baby will sleep in our room for a few months at least, so I can hold off on buying bed rails and worrying about Cale walking down Harry Wurzbach at three in the morning.  If I go with this plan, the only "pile" I will have is the new baby's bedding, waiting for Sissy to move out of the crib and into the big bed.  Yeah!  Problem solved!!  Now all I have to do is convince the hubby to take apart two beds and one crib, and move all the parts into new rooms and reassemble them.  And hang a bunch of stuff on the wall.  And get the electrician to hang up a chandelier in the girls' room.  And make a cute book holder I saw in the Pottery Barn catalog....hmmmmm.  Along with the preparation for the big kid rooms, I have been in baby project mode.....I made a cute little hooded towel for the baby, a mobile with hand sewn birds on it, a pillow for her crib, and my favorite.....my first attempt at a homemade baby book!  I saw these cutie little monogrammed baby books in a hoity toity gift store, and they were well over a hundred bucks, and they only came with about thirty pages to fill in information.  I decided I could definitely make one just as cute.....I would just find somewhere online that I could order baby book pages.  Well, after a very exhaustive search, I realized that a LOT of people online sell packages of baby book pages, but they aren't very cute!  They aren't really cheap, either.  So I busted out my scrapbooking CD and wasted WAY, WAAAAAYYYYYY too much time designing and printing all my own inserts.  The final product is about 150 pages that will mark EVERY milestone, giant and minute in this kid's life!  I think I went a little overboard, but thank goodness I bought a huge binder at the beginning of this project.  Anyway, when all is said and done....I think I like mine a lot better than anything I could have purchased.  For one, it is personalized all over the place, with her name on the cover, and her name on lots of the pages.....also, I was able to create pages that I always wished existed in Hayden and Cale's books.  (P.S....they pale in comparison, if I do say so myself!)  Now I have a huge book, with pages already printed, ready for me to fill in her every wiggle and cough.  Mostly, I am glad that I am off to a good start....not resigning her to "third child syndrome" before she's even born.....
More pics to come of my other projects.....I definitely want to post the link to the bird mobile tutorial, because I know some of my readers will want to make one of their own when they see it!  

0 comments: